Your Monthly Yoga Pose
Warrior 1 is an essential yoga pose. It is part of Surya Namaskara B, or Sun Salutation B, which is a warmup linking breath and movement in Ashtanga, vinyasa, or power yoga. While there are three different “warrior” poses, warrior 1 brings a sense of power and strength to get your year off to a great start.
- From a standing position, bring the left leg back about three feet and keep the left foot on the mat or ground at a 45 degree angle.
- Bend the front right leg, keeping the knee pointed toward the middle toe and making sure the knee avoids caving in toward the big toe.
- Inhale and lift both arms up over head, relaxing the shoulders, and bringing the navel toward the spine.
- To go deeper, bring the palms together, gaze up, and bend the knee so that the leg is parallel with the mat.
- Ground down with both feet on the mat, while lifting with the torso and arms.
- Stay for five breaths and repeat on the opposite side.
Warrior 1 is a great way to build static strength in the leg and to experience a full breath. According to B.K.S. Iyengar, warrior 1 relieves stiffness in the shoulders and back, tones up the ankles and knees, and cures stiffness of the neck. May this pose bring you strength in your New Year’s resolutions.
Natalia Foote is the owner of threeR, a company bringing mindfulness, meditation and yoga practices to the workplace. Her mission in life is spreading love and light in the world. When not spending time with her family, you can find Natalia taking and teaching yoga all around Lake Nona.