Music can hold so much power and can transport us back to certain memories or moments. It often tells some of the best stories! So sit back, pop in your earbuds, and enjoy listening to the music featured in this column for Nonahood News. I hope to introduce you to some unforgettable new tunes.
It’s August, the last month of summer, although here in Lake Nona, it can seem like the summer stretches far past this month. But even in our Florida heat, those of us who start school or work again must leave behind the summer vacation – at least until the weekend.
For this month, I wanted to look back on some of my favorite songs that were on repeat throughout the summer days of 2019, during the pool parties, the beach days, cookouts, bike rides, everything. Check out this playlist of 10 songs that made the best soundtrack for this summer.
- “Butterflies” by Kacey Musgraves: I’m kind of late on the Musgraves train, since “Butterflies” came out on her 2018 album Golden Hour. I really enjoy how laid-back and breezy this country song is. I think it’s the perfect song to listen to on a summer morning with a cup of coffee and the sun’s bright rays shining through the window.
- “Con Calma” by Daddy Yankee featuring Snow: A Spanish remake of Snow’s “Informer” that makes for one of the catchiest songs to dance to this year. Even though I wasn’t born when “Informer” came out, I’m a huge fan of it, and I think this remake does the original song justice. It’s just too hard to stay still when this song plays.
- “No Guidance” by Chris Brown, featuring Drake: I knew this song would be an instant hit when I first heard it. That’s expected when it comes to Drake; as of lately, he’s constantly had hits plague the summer charts. “No Guidance” is yet another one to add to his list.
- “Borderline” by Tame Impala: Oh, Tame Impala, it’s been too long – three years without new music. “Borderline” is one of the grooviest songs of the year. I love listening to this rock group and feeling like I’ve stepped into the ’70s.
- “RPG” by Kehlani, featuring 6LACK: This song has quickly become one of my favorite R&B songs. A solemn piano in the background and the vinyl crackles within the song give an old-time quality to these two modern voices.
- “Boasty” by Wiley, Stefflon Don, and Sean Paul, featuring Idris Elba: So “Boasty” is how I learned that British actor Idris Elba can rap. His chorus makes this dancehall song so much fun to listen and rap along to. Also, who can resist those lovely DJ air horns?
- “Blank Marquee” by Yuna, featuring G-Eazy: Sometimes I hear a new song at the most random time, and I have to stop, pause, and take out Shazam because there’s no way I can continue on with my day without knowing the name. “Blank Marquee” is one of these songs, and I don’t think I’ve gone a day without listening to it the entire summer. It has an overall feel-good vibe to it, and it’s the most original-sounding pop song I’ve heard in a long time.
- “Con Altura” by Rosalía and J Balvin, featuring El Guincho: A very hype reggaeton thanks to La Rosalía’s Spanish bars. There’s no way you won’t feel ready to take on the world after listening to “Con Altura.” It’s also great to work out to.
- “Soco” by StarBoy: Prepare to be swept away on an island vacation with this one. I can never get enough of Caribbean rhythms when summertime comes around. I’m always going to think back to summer with “Soco.”
- “Parecen Viernes” by Marc Anthony: I’m finishing off this playlist with the legendary Marc Anthony and the second single from his album OPUS. To translate a little, he says in the chorus, “With you, every Monday feels like Friday.” And I can relate; summer also had me feeling as if every Monday was Friday, and every Tuesday, and every Wednesday…
I hope everyone has had an amazing summer and that the fall treats you just as swell!